An overlooked garden can leave you feeling exposed and uncomfortable in your own outdoor space. However, there are numerous ways to create a sense of privacy and seclusion, turning your garden into a peaceful retreat. In this guide, we’ll explore various techniques to achieve privacy in your overlooked garden in the style of the Huffington Post Playbook.
Planting for Privacy
- Hedges and shrubs: Planting a hedge or dense shrubbery can provide a natural, living barrier between your garden and prying eyes. Choose evergreen species for year-round privacy, such as laurel, yew, or holly.
- Trees: Strategically plant trees to obstruct views from neighbouring properties. Consider fast-growing varieties like poplars or evergreens for optimal screening.
- Climbing plants: Utilise climbing plants like ivy, clematis, or honeysuckle on trellises, fences, or walls to create a green, living screen.
Fencing and Walls
- Traditional fencing: Install wooden or metal fencing to create a solid barrier around your garden. Choose a design and height that complements your landscaping and offers sufficient privacy.
- Decorative screens: Opt for decorative screens made from metal, wood, or resin to create an attractive, modern privacy solution.
- Living walls: Combine structure and greenery by creating a living wall. This can be achieved using climbing plants, modular planting systems, or even vertical gardens.
Pergolas and Gazebos
- Pergolas: Build a pergola in your garden to create a secluded seating area. Train climbing plants on the structure for added privacy and visual appeal.
- Gazebos: Install a gazebo with curtains or lattice panels to offer a private retreat within your garden.
- Raised beds and berms: Use raised beds or berms to elevate plantings, creating a natural screen between your garden and neighbouring properties.
- Multi-level gardens: Design your garden with multiple levels to break up sightlines and add visual interest. This can be achieved through terracing, decking, or sunken seating areas.
- Distraction techniques: Incorporate focal points such as water features, sculptures, or colourful plantings to draw attention away from overlooked areas.
Outdoor Blinds and Curtains
- Outdoor blinds: Install outdoor blinds or shades on your patio, pergola, or gazebo to create a private, sheltered space.
- Weather-resistant curtains: Hang weather-resistant curtains on existing structures or between posts to create a temporary privacy solution that can be easily adjusted as needed.
Achieving privacy in an overlooked garden may seem challenging, but with these creative solutions, you can transform your exposed outdoor space into a secluded oasis. Whether you prefer greenery, structures, or a combination of both, there’s a privacy solution to suit your garden’s style and needs. By implementing these ideas, you can enjoy your garden with confidence and comfort, knowing that you have created a serene sanctuary to call your own.